It has been ages and ages since I joined up for Wednesday Hodgepodge fun from my my friend over at From This Side of The Pond. I do quite enjoy it, though, so I shall attempt to answer this week’s questions.
1.What makes love last?
Well, my man and I will be together for 14 years in September and I think we are doing pretty good, but we certainly aren’t experts. I think that choosing to remain friends when everything is totally crazy and you cannot stand each other anymore is key. If you can continue to treat each other with respect and engage in things that give you pleasure together then love usually isn’t too far behind. I also know that expectations, both in life and in a relationship, can be completely detrimental so I’ve learned to let go of expectations so I can be happy with what I have. There’s nothing like thinking something should/will happen only to have it not (and this can be something as simple as a partner pitching in to help in the kitchen) and then feeling really resentful. It’s taken us years (I am the queen of hinting around) to get to the place where we both feel comfortable saying what we really mean and asking for what we want/need as opposed to waiting for it to happen without the other person even being aware.
2. The Beatles made their US debut fifty years ago this week. Are you a fan? If so, what’s your favorite Beatles tune?
I’m not a huge fan, but I like them well enough. I have no idea what my favourite would be. The ones that come to mind first are “Let it Be”, “In my Life”, “I am the Walrus”, and when I was a kid we listened to “Yellow Submarine” an awful lot. I think it was on a children’s record, yes record, that I had.
3. Valentine’s Day-your thoughts? Do you celebrate in any way? Do anything special for the people you love? Expect anything special from the people who love you?
No expectations here! Last year was the first time I really actually did the whole Valentine’s Day thing so I made a blog post about it! I do have a plan for this year as well, but it really simple and just shows appreciation for my family. Can’t say too much here as I do have little ones that like to read some of my blog posts!
4. Steak or burger…you have to choose. Now that that’s settled, how do you like it?
Oh boy, I do like both, but I am going with steak, though we haven’t had much luck with finding good cuts lately. I like it medium rare and served with mushrooms and onions, please. There also needs to be Montreal steak spice.
5. The Hodgepodge lands on the birthdate (February 12th) of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America. Lincoln is quoted as saying, ‘Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character give him power.’ Do you agree? Why or why not?
I agree! It scares me what power does to some people. I could write more, but it would likely get a little bit (or a lot) ranty and I frankly don’t want to go there!
6. Honest Abe’s image is featured on the US penny (1 cent coin) so I’m wondering…what do you do with your pennies (or your country’s equivalent)? It’s been suggested the US stop making the penny, and two bills have been introduced proposing just that, but neither were approved. What say you?
Canada got rid of the penny last year and I don’t miss it one bit. I have a bunch that need to be rolled and taken to the bank. I cannot wait for them to be gone for good.
7. Do you think pop culture deserves serious study?
Meh, not really. I think it worth looking at how pop culture affects our youth and relationships, but beyond that, pop culture mostly drives me crazy so the less I have to do with it, the better. I am one of those that much prefers to be clueless.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I’m now stuck listening to Beatles songs on Youtube. Thank you! They are making me happy!